Movie(pt.2) Heller High Water~Bank Effort

Posted: April 6, 2012 by Hellcat in Fish Reports, Gear Fishing, Salmon, Trout & Steelhead, Tutorials
Tags: , , , ,

As promised….how to catch a fish in water at the 90th percentile. Music by Violent Femmes…co starring Big Burge and Donaca and a whole bunch of really high water.

This video has featured some of the products endorsed by AllAroundAngler.com including HookSet Jigs, Western Fishing Operations and KND Custom Tackle.

Comments
  1. daheller says:

Great job of snaking a fish out of that torrent. Sal

2. The Hustler says:

Nice job!

3. Big Burge says:

Nice vid, thanks for showing me how to “bobber dog” as well. Nice to know tricks for high water and such.
    BB

Thanks, Guys!

Oh you’re welcome, Pete. Always a pleasure to fish alongside you.

6. Mr. Sockeye says:

I wish our rivers had that good of clarity under such high flows. The only two rivers in Ca. that would have similiar clarity in the 90th percentile would be the American and the Smith. Most of our rivers would be chocolate milk down here if they were pushing that much water.

The bobber dogging technique is very popular with some friends of mine that just so happen to be guides. They have made a living on fall chinooks with that technique. Instead of worms or jigs, they run eggs under the bobber. Like you mentioned in the video, the idea is to maintain contact with the bottom, and you should see your bobber tipping downstream . The other big key I have seen when using that techniqe is not to set the hook too quickly. If you are fishing that float on a tight line, which you will be, then it pays to let the float completely submerge before ramming the steel home. I got trigger happy on the Klamath last fall and blew it on several fish by setting before the float went down and yanking the bait out prematurely.

7. Mr. Sockeye says:

I should also add that the bobber pointing downstream only applies if you are downstream of your float. This technique works great from a boat, and you can get some killer drifts. It also has been the hardest technique for me to master as the boat captain. Keeping the boat from dragging the baits or from scooching in too close can be tricky.

You’re an incredibly perceptive angler, Mr. Sockeye. I always look forward to anything you have to say. Thank you for taking the time to make AAA a priority!

9. Somehow missed this one but I just saw it. This is quite helpful to me come november. Hoping to do a similar setup. Good stuff Chris!